Monday, May 3, 2010

Helping others helps yourself

I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to write about today, but I decided that since I was ranting in the last 3 posts, that I would write about something more positive tonight.
Volunteering is a great way to fill in down time that would be spent sitting around going "I'm bored, what is there to do?". I know personally because I partake in quite a few volunteering activities. For those of you who are unemployed, volunteering is a great way to fill your day that a) makes you feel better about yourself because it gives you the feeling of accomplishment and b)it looks good on any resume. I learned this from John Tesh, so I can not claim total credit for this! But if you have volunteer time down on your resume that you are involved with when you apply for a job it shows the potential employer that you Want to be out there doing something and you Want to stay active. Also a lot of companies like to be involved in the community so they are more likely to hire a person who is involved on their own. Basically it come down to the fact that you keep your mind busy and your helping out more than just yourself. With the economy in the shape it's in, there are a lot of soup kitchens, churches and other community organizations that are more than in need of people willing to give just a few hours a week.
I personally volunteered at my local library, as a member of the Friends of the Library (where I'm the secretary) it made sense and I knew the manager needed some help. If I didn't have that, I would have went nuts the 2 or 3 months that I was unemployed! I personally, enjoy volunteering, and now that I have work, I still try to help at the library when I can and I'm also a member of the Business and Community Association in my town which has events and things all through the year. Several years ago my mom and I put on the car show, but she moved and I laid low for awhile, so we no longer have that event. I've recently really tried to get involved again and do things for the community.
Something that kind of goes along with volunteering, that I decided to include in this post, because it is still helping people, is donating blood. I am reminded of this sitting here at the computer looking at the postcard reminding me that the 17th is the next time to donate. There is a huge need for donors and you never know who's life you are saving. I understand that some people can not donate, but there are other ways that you can help, like having your organization sponsor a blood drive, or to donate snacks water and juice for the donors afterward. I try to donate as often as I can, but I do fight with low iron so I'm not always able to. It's just something to think about.
Well, I need to finish up, since it's getting windy as heck and the lights are starting to blink. I do believe we have a storm blowing in! So here's something a little more positive. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment